Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lenten Reflection for Tuesday, March 18


March 18, 2014
TUESDAY OF THE SECOND WEEK OF LENT

Isaiah 1:10, 16-20 * Matthew 23: 1-12

In today’s Gospel, the scribes and the Pharisees are living life as a spectacle. Their actions are loud and visible, and they require attention from others so that they may feel more esteemed.

It can be easy to feel the need to vent or complain to others when things are going wrong. It gives us the sense of release, like a weight has been lifted off of us. And the compassion we receive can be addicting. However, when we lay our burdens on others, we don’t perform the necessary work to overcome them. The problem won’t be solved, only shuffled.

Instead, we have created our own spectacle, our own performance. But why do we do this? Compassion. Empathy. Knowing that someone is listening. Feeling loved.

This is where prayer steps in. As humans, we feel the need to be praised, especially when we fall in comparison to others. The next time you feel the need to vent, take a moment and ask:

  • Have I talked about it more than I’ve prayed about it?
  • How do I feel when I tell others my burdens?
  • How do I feel when I tell Jesus my burdens?
  • What is one area of my life that I am not willing to take to prayer?
  • Why am I afraid to pray about this?

Kendall Cherry
Class of 2014
Major: Communications
Future Plans: To move to Nashville to pursue a career in music marketing.

------------
St. Mary's Catholic Center will post a daily reflection from a student, former student, or staff member every day of Lent. We have compiled these reflections into a handout, given to our students on Ash Wednesday.

No comments: