What a spoiled brat I can be. Father forgive me!
The people of South Sudan, the world's newest country (formed July 9), face crippling poverty and a history of violence. Here is a sampling:
- Almost the size of the state of Texas but only has 100 miles of paved roads
- Half of its 8 million people live on less than $1 a day
- Only 6.4 percent of the population has access to improved sanitation facilities (toilets/latrines).
- Less than 50 percent of all children receive 5 years of primary-school education.
- While 1.3 million children are enrolled, only 1.9 percent complete primary-school education.
- For every 1,000 primary-school students, there is only one teacher.
- 85 percent of adults do not know how to read or write.
- A 15 year-old girl has a higher chance of dying in childbirth than of completing school.
More info here on how to help.