Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Books

Here is my recent reading list:

Finished Recently:
**The Loser Letters by Mary Eberstadt
Eberstadt is one of my favorite contributors to First Things, my favorite journal, so I was very much looking forward to this book. It did not disappoint. Written in the style of The Screwtape Letters, by CS Lewis, The Loser Letters is a satire written in the form of letters from a young atheist writing to the public atheist leaders (e.g. Dawkins, Hitchens, etc.) about her "conversion" to atheism and the problems she sees within the movement and how they can be fixed. The satire works well for a laugh and many good points. I thoroughly enjoyed The Loser Letters and highly recommend it.

**Wise Blood: A Novel and Everything That Rises Must Converge both by Flannery O'Connor
I have somehow missed reading Flannery O'Connor through the years, though I have heard about her from many people. She is a masterful writer who has very broken, dark, and flawed characters - who appear grotesque in many ways. Her writing is dark and shows off the flaws in a fallen world. Her world is scary and made me stop and think many times about the horrors that we find throughout life. An author that makes me stop and think is a talented one. Wise Blood is ultimately about the inescapable questions about what role God plays in our lives. Everything That Rises Must Converge is a collection of short stories that never end on a high note. Both were good reads, but not for the squeamish.

**The book of Lamentations. I am starting Baruch tonight.

**I also finished my Aug/Sept 2010 edition of First Things a while back.

Currently Reading:
**Fire Within: St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and the Gospel-On Prayer by Thomas Dubay.
**The Virgin Mary and the Theology of the Body. by Fr. Donald H. Calloway.
**The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman - reading with my wife.
**Something Beautiful For God: Mother Teresa of Calcutta by Malcolm Muggeridge. Introduced Mother Teresa to the Western World and changed Muggeridge's life.

No comments: