Monday, July 12, 2010

Music With Meaning

I am a big fan of music that makes you think about faith issues from a "real-life" perspective, that is, music that has meaning you have to find for yourself. Thus, I consider a song that makes me reflect a real work of art.

One of my favorite bands right now is The Fray. They are Christians but do not consider themselves a "Christian band". Their music is based on their faith, but isn't explicit - you have to find it in their music.

One of their better songs is "How to Save a Life". The song can be interpreted many different ways. Over lunch I discussed the lyrics with others who had different interpretations. One thought it was about trying to talk someone out of a suicide. I think it is about trying to help save someone's soul. I found this explanation from the lead singer:
The title track was inspired by Slade's experience as a mentor to a crack addicted teen. "I was a sheltered suburban kid when I met this guy. He was a recovering addict, coming out of a really tough teenage life. Thankfully, he was on his way out of that life, so he was able to really look back with some objectivity. The song is more of a memoir about his slow motion descent and all the relationships he lost along the way. Some people actually formed a non-profit organisation called Save A Life. They lost their son to a tragic car accident and apparently 'How To Save A Life' was the last song he downloaded. Another girl lost her mother to suicide. She wrote me and said it helped her deal with her mom's death."
Check out the song and let me know what you think:

Some of the lyrics:
Step one you say we need to talk
He walks you say sit down it's just a talk
He smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through
Some sort of window to your right
As he goes left and you stay right
Between the lines of fear and blame
And you begin to wonder why you came

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

Let him know that you know best
Cause after all you do know best
Try to slip past his defense
Without granting innocence
Lay down a list of what is wrong
The things you've told him all along
And pray to God he hears you
And pray to God he hears you

As he begins to raise his voice
You lower yours and grant him one last choice
Drive until you lose the road
Or break with the ones you've followed
He will do one of two things
He will admit to everything
Or he'll say he's just not the same
And you'll begin to wonder why you came
I think this is a great example of how Christians can use their talents in the culture for good and to change hearts. We could all learn how to save a life a bit better.

No comments: