Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Angelina Jolie and Bad Theology

I didn't expect her to know her theology in this interview and she doesn't. But, it seems she has some decent sensibilities in some areas.
My comments in Red.
Faith has always played a crucial role in her life.

"My mother had a beautiful faith. She loved Jesus. She was Catholic and had a warm memory of growing up in her faith. She loved to go to church. Sounds like she was brought up in a way that is not too different than many of us. She also knew that there were certain things in the Church that were too extreme for modern life. Modern life should not cause us to jettison the truth. She didn't approve of everything the Church was preaching but, instead of going against the Church, she just went with Jesus. This means she determined truth on her own - make it up as you go. I saw her spirituality as beautiful. If we didn't go to church on Sunday, she'd say, 'God would want me to spend time with my children, and laugh with my children. That's what I believe God would want.' Mother was right and we'd have a wonderful, fun day." How does she know her mother was right? Is this based on objective fact or a feeling she has? It seems she has fallen for the spiritual but not religious lie (see here and here for more on this issue). It is apparent that Jolie was not taught the faith well. This should be another clarion call for us to do a better job within the Church of evangelizing and catechizing those sitting in the pews.

Her opinion of religion.

"I respect all religions. What I don't respect is when people use religion to attack others. I agree, there is no reason to attack. I've met people across the world, in the middle of nowhere, who are just trying to survive and all they have is religion. In some way it helps them, and I wouldn't take it away from them. There are also people who use it to hate and kill. I don't consider them religious people." Good for her.

What her children are being taught to believe.

"Brad and I are raising our children to respect everyone. If this is the modern idea of "respect" then it means that we accept everyone's opinion as truth, which is relativism. We have a bookshelf in the house that has the Bible, the Torah, the Koran, everything. We will take our children to church, temple, Buddhist ceremonies, Mosques, teaching them about all faiths. Whatever religion they choose, the choice will be theirs." What if they choose a faith that attacks others? Is this choice ok with her? I bet it isn't. So, as is the case with many people, relativism rules the day.
I think that Angelina, along with too many others, has fallen for the lies in our culture. Pray for her and others like her. Pray that she can return to The Church. Pray she can find THE TRUTH, Jesus.

No comments: