Monday, June 28, 2010

Limitations

In a homily yesterday I heard a phrase the following phrase which struck me:
"God took on limitations."

I frequently complain about my limitations, especially when I suffer, because I am human and don't embrace them as I should. If you are around me for any amount of time, you might hear:
  • "My back is killing me."
  • "I am follically-challenged"
  • "I don't feel good."
  • "I wish I could do ______."
  • "I am getting old."
  • "I used to be able to." (remember that in TX we say "used to" a lot)
  • etc.
Yet, Christ took on limitations in order to be like us. Compare his reaction to my own:
  • His back hurt much more than mine when he was already beaten down, and then he had to pick up a cross.
  • His head was in much worse condition when he had a crown of thorns put on it.
  • He felt worse than I ever will because of being abandoned and tortured.
  • He knew he would never be able to escape His suffering.
  • He died at an earlier age than I currently am.
  • He might have had limitations, but didn't let that stop Him from loving limitlessly.
If you are like me, you are more likely to limit God than you are to give Him your limitations. While God took on limitations to be like us, He did not keep them. He went above them. Our limitations are God's opportunity to work in us. Once we accept that we are not anything but limited, God then has room to work in our lives. It is at this point that He can work on our sanctification, because we see our need for Him.

It is because of pride and a failure of faith that I am stuck in my limitations. My limitations cannot be overcome if I "set my mind to it" or do it by myself. Even if I break a world record, I am still limited. Even if I achieve all my goals, I am still limited. Limitations mean I am in need of He who has no limit.

The paradox is that I cannot go beyond my limitations until I embrace them. Lord help me embrace my limitations for your glory and my sanctification, through your limitless love for me!
"For God all things are possible." - Matt 19:26

No comments: