1601 "The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament."
This is dangerous and I don't think we can understate the social impact it is having.
Here are some of the obvious results from the continuing erosion of marriage:
- Religious liberty is threatened. For instance, in 2004, any Justice of the Peace in Mass who refused to perform same-sex marriages was fired. Also, churches may lose tax-exempt status. One other example - forcing religious groups to extend benefits to same-sex couples.
- Children suffer. Studies show that children are best raised in a two-parent (mother + father) home. If we are to help kids, we should strengthen marriages - not attack them.
- It is a social experiment gone wrong. The negatives far outweigh any positives.
- The only reason for the government to be involved in marriage, in the first place, is for the benefit of children. Since they are the future of society, it benefits society to have the government help support relationships that bring children into the world. Therefore, there is no good reason for the government to further same-sex "marriages".
- It is not "discrimination". Everyone is free to marry someone else of the opposite sex. Nobody is free to marry someone of the same sex. This isn't discrimination - the same rules apply to all.
Want to marry your cat? Why not?
You might be interested in reading more at:
-What is Wrong with Homosexual Marriage?