During the fall months when flu is easily spread, it is good to remember some rules of charity:
• Washing hands thoroughly with soap and water or using hand sanitizer diminishes the chance to catch or spread the flu virus.
• If you are sick, stay home. It is never a sin to miss Mass due to illness.
• If your children are sick keep them home from Mass and Religious Education.
• Teach your children to cover their coughs and sneezes appropriately.
• When receiving the Eucharist, we receive the fullness of the Body and Blood of Christ under the species of bread alone or wine alone. Receiving Communion under both species is a fuller sign, but Christ is fully present in each of the species so receiving both is not required. (See Catechism 1390.)
At this time the diocese is asking parishes to continue their present practices of having ministers sanitize their hands before the distribution of the Eucharist. The diocese is NOT asking parishes to suspend the Sign of Peace or to cease to distribute communion from the cup.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Wash Your Hands
From the Diocese of Austin: