Friday, June 12, 2009

LINKS ABOUT BISHOP AYMOND

I will be posting as many stories as I come across. Please let me know in the comments box if you know of others. The New Orleans press conference starts at 10:30am.


UPDATE - Here is the letter sent to priests and others in the Diocese this morning.
Dear Brother Priests, Friends and Co-workers in Ministry:

This letter is very difficult to write. I wish I could communicate this message personally, but that is not possible.

I have been informed by Archbishop Sambi, the Apostolic Nuncio, that our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI has named me Archbishop of New Orleans.

Needless to say, this appointment creates in me very mixed feelings. I have been privileged to serve as the Bishop of Austin for the last nine years. Central Texas has become home. I have worked with a great group of priests who have become my brothers. The deacons, religious, diocesan and parish staffs have been most supportive and genuine co-workers in ministry. I have enjoyed our ministry together and being a part of this vibrant, fast-growing diocese. I am very grateful to God and to each of you.

I also feel humbled that the Holy Father has asked me to serve as Archbishop of New Orleans. In recent years, the city has gone through many changes and I am aware of the challenges ahead.

Today I write primarily to thank you for your ministry and to request your prayers for me in this time of transition.

This morning I will be in New Orleans for a news conference at 10:30 a.m. and return to Austin for a conference at 4 p.m.

In the near future, I will schedule a “Mass of Thanksgiving” in four areas of the Diocese to express my gratitude to God and to you for the privilege of serving as the Bishop of Austin.

I will be in Rome to receive the pallium, a symbol of the ministry of the Archbishop, on June 29, the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul.

The installation in New Orleans is on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2009 at 2 p.m.

I hold you and all the people of this diocese in my heart and in prayer. Please lift me to God in your prayers.

Sincerely in Christ,
Most Reverend Gregory M. Aymond
Bishop of Austin

No comments: