Monday, January 12, 2009

Sex Sells

We all know it has unfortunately become a truth in modern advertising - sex sells. Well, apparently so does sex with a virgin.

A woman from San Diego is auctioning off her virginity and the price is approaching $4 million. She got the idea to do it because:
she was persuaded to offer herself to the highest bidder after her sister Avia, 23, paid for her own degree after working as a prostitute for three weeks.
To top it all off, she has a degree in Women's Studies.
Sick. No matter how much she denies it, this is not empowering and her act is certainly demeaning. Why? Because she is making herself into an object and throwing the dignity of the sexual act and her humanity out the window (never completely losing either, but ignoring them). Sex isn't bad, but isn't intended to be used merely for pleasure, or even more base - for money.

She said: "I get some men who are obviously looking for a girlfriend but I try and make it clear that this is a one-night-only offer.

"I know that a lot of people will condemn me for this because it's so taboo but I really don't have a problem with that.

"My study is completely authentic in that I truly am auctioning my virginity but I am not being sold into this. I'm not being taken advantage of in any way.

"I think me and the person I do it with will both profit greatly from the deal."

She added: "It's shocking that men will pay so much for someone's virginity, which isn't even prized so highly anymore."

Sounds like the degree she got didn't help her understand the world, the human person, our destiny, or life much.
Pray for her and those that would offer money to take her virginity.

I wonder what would happen if the winning bidder decided to "buy" her virginity and then never take her up on the offer?
Our Lady pray for us all to grow in purity and chastity.
Tip O' The Hat to CMR.

2 comments:

tour86rocker said...

It's unfortunate, isn't it? This happens every few years with some poor soul or another. I remember hearing about such a thing on the news when I was in junior high and at least one other time since then. At least one of the girls (maybe both) were studying for some kind of degree in counseling (child psychology, IIRC) :^\

Milehimama said...

What I find interesting about the whole thing is that SHE must value virginity quite highly, if she's in graduate school and still a virgin.

From reading history, I gather that geishas in Japan would do the same thing (voluntarily auction off their virginity.)