Thursday, March 27, 2008

“Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your heart?”

This morning as I was reading the gospel passage for the day (Luke 24:35-48) I paused. All of a sudden I was no longer reading. God was speaking. He was asking me (not just the apostles of long ago), “Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your heart?”

I had been a bit troubled these past few days. Doubting God’s plan. Doubting His love. Questions were rising (bubbling over!) in my heart. Can you really do this? How will this all work out?

Then there were the deeper questions that are always stirring beneath the surface: Lord, do you really understand? Do you really care? Can you do anything about it (my life, my situation)? Will you do anything about it?

And then Christ’s words again (to me and to you, not just to the apostles of long ago): “Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me and see.”

Oh the power of the risen Christ! The wounds are present. Proof of his understanding! Proof of His love! Yet he is resurrected, glorious. Proof he can do something about it! Proof he has done something about it!

And the answers to my questions came flooding in:

“Lord, do you really understand?”
“Yes, every wound, every hurt, every longing, every sin. More than you will ever know yourself.”

“Lord do you really care?”
“Yes, so much I did this just for you.”

“Lord, can you do anything about it?”
“Yes, I can do all things and so can you with my grace.”

“Lord, will you do anything about it?”
“Yes, I already have.”

Both the Cross and the triumph are so clearly present in our resurrected Lord. The pain and the power are both there. “Touch me and see,” he invites.

This Easter day may we touch and see. May we know the depth of his understanding, the wealth of his love, the strength of his arm, and that he has indeed done something about it all.

He has done everything.

He gives us new life.

Glory! Alleluia!

No comments: