Sunday, October 21, 2007

Another lesson from Gabe.

The other night I realized I had an oil leak. I had just had my oil changed at a place in Austin while I was visiting my brother and they did not do something correctly. I was not going to drive two hours to have them fix the problem. This left me either fixing it myself, or taking it to someone new (who I assumed would charge me something for their trouble.)

So at midnight I was in my pajamas with a flashlight underneath my truck. I could see where the leak was coming from, but couldn't fix the problem.

I was frustrated. Car maintenance is one of my least favorite tasks in life. Because I know nothing about cars, I am left to rely on others. And I tend not to like relying on others. I am a do it myself-er.

But being a do it myself-er sometimes reeks havoc on my relationship with God.

He says, “Come to me” (Matthew 11:28) “Cast your cares on me” (Psalm 55:22 and 1 Peter 5:7)and I (not rudely, but fearfully) say “Will you actually be there?” “Will you really help me?” “Can I really trust you?” It seems safer to struggle alone than to “come” and to “cast”.

I mentioned a couple weeks ago how I met a special young man named Gabe on a youth retreat who taught me a lesson about trust. He also taught me a lesson about humility.

On the retreat we had booklets with places to write our thoughts down in regards to the reflection questions. Gabe is not timid or self-conscious. When writing in his journal he’d sometimes ask us (the small group members) how to spell things.

He knew that he did not know. He wanted to know. So he asked. Humility.

Gabe is aware of (and has accepted that) he needs others. And he humbly relies on them for help. It is beautiful. It is humbling.

Today if we find ourselves struggling alone - trying to fix something, heal something, change something in our lives – may we swallow our pride, reach out to others, and humbly ask for help.

Thanks Gabe for the lesson in humility.

By the way, the guy at the auto shop in town didn't charge me anything. He simply fixed the problem. That too was humbling.

No comments: