Monday, February 19, 2007

Another Ash Wed. Question

Q - Should I keep the Ashes I receive on all day or wipe them off? It seems that I will be somewhat prideful if I keep them on. What do you think?

A - Thanks for your question! I think you should keep them on, but only for the right reason. We shouldn't make a "show" of our faith, but neither should we be ashamed of it.

It is okay to wear the ashes all day as long as it doesn't become sinful pride. We can be proud to wear ashes as a sign of repentance and a sign of faith, but if it is to be "holier-than-thou" then the vice of pride has entered in.

On the other hand, we shouldn't be ashamed that we are marked by the Church as a child of God and a sibling of Christ. We are marked by the cross of Christ.

So, while we shouldn' t do it as a parade of our faith we also shouldn't be scared of them either.

Keep them on and humbly offer your day to the Lord for His sacrifice for you.